Questions and Answers
1. Are all nonprofits eligible to apply for grants?
Non profits that are tax exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the federal Internal Revenue Service code are eligible to apply for grant funding. They should serve Fauquier and adjacent counties in the state of Virginia.
2. What is the exact geographic area your foundation serves?
The Foundation concentrates its grant making in the counties of Fauquier, Prince William, Culpeper, Rappahannock, Loudoun and Stafford.
3. Is there a specific grant application form to complete?
Yes. Grant applications are available on our website. The Foundation Board of Directors will review all grant requests prior to their regularly scheduled July board meeting. At that Board meeting, the Directors will select the recipients and identify the grant amount to be dispersed to them for that particular fiscal year.
4. What are the deadlines for applications?
The deadline for applications has been established as April 30th. Grant applications will be accepted at any time during the year and will be held for review by the Board of Directors at the July board meeting.
5. Should I contact someone in your office before submitting a grant proposal?
It is recommended and would be an advantage to your organization for the Executive Director of the Foundation to discuss your proposal with you prior to submission.
6. What are the criteria for selecting grant recipients?
Our board looks for nonprofits with projects and programs that are likely to continue to strengthen our community beyond the requested period of funding. The Foundation's primary interest is in funding specific tangible projects. It does not provide funding for administrative or operating expenses. The Foundation places emphasis on education, public safety, social services, health care and arts and culture.
7. How many copies of a grant proposal do you need?
We need an original and four copies of your proposal and supporting documents.
8. How will my organization be notified as to whether it received grant funding or not?
The Executive Director will contact you within a few days after grant decisions are made. You will also receive an official letter in the mail informing you of the board's decision on your grand application.
9. If my organization receives grant funding when can we expect payment?
Payments are made as soon as possible after the selection process by the Board has been completed. Normally checks are forwarded to the recipients within two weeks after the July board meeting.